Henry's Diaspora Funtime Adventure Go!
Spread throughout Sceptri, the Triads serve an odd role of both protector and oppressor to the people of the outer shoals. The first Triads began several centuries ago as quasi-religious secret societies for the preservation of cultural heritage against Szuba-Tai hegemony. To supplement funding, early Triads turned to low-risk illegal activities, such as gambling and prostitution. Eventually, profit became the primary goal as cultural preservation was forgotten. Nowadays, most Triads are centered on a single shoal and engage in petty crime (drug running, smuggling, prostitution, extortion, gambling). Generally, Szuba-Tai turns a blind eye to the transgressions of the Triads, as the small-scale nature of most Triads doesn’t cut into their profit margin significantly enough to merit action. However, there are several Triads which span multiple shoals, and even systems, and have come to the attention of Szuba-Tai. The largest multi-shoal Triads are
- Yellow Snake
- The most widespread Triad, the Yellow Snakes have found great success in the manufacture of counterfeit Szuba-Tai goods. Despite numerous attempts at infiltration, Szuba-Tai agents have had little success in discerning the structure of the organization. In an odd parallel to Szuba-Tai itself, the identities of higher-ranking members are totally unknown. The top position is known as the Meritorious Spirit. The Meritorious Spirit’s underlings are (in descending order) Jade Wall, Wandering Tiger, Iron Temple, and Hardened Earth.
- Golden Circle
- The Golden Circle works primarily in smuggling, small-scale piracy, and blockade running. One of the more positively-regarded Triads due to their role in obtaining cheap goods for the population of the outer shoals. Led by Gulya Ukhbanova.
- Three Brothers
- The looting of artifacts from Zamin for sale on the black market is the role of the Three Brothers Triad, although this is being challenged by the Eternal Wheels. One of the best-educated Triads on the whole, if only because of the large number of archaeologists hired/pressganged to facilitate scavenging. Led by a council headed by Enver Kadija and Fa Yan Ji.
- Iron Harmony
- Better known by their front company Sheva-Scofield Security Solutions (4S), the Irony Harmony Triads act as muscle for anyone with enough cash, including Szuba-Tai. Led by Hanura Rakshish.
- Eternal Wheel
- Led by Brynmor Lee, the Eternal Wheel has gained a reputation as one of the most vicious, least professional Triads in recent years. Currently engaged in an all-out war with the Three Brothers for defacto scavenging rights in Zamin
Up-and-coming Triads include the Blue Lanterns, The Six Heavens Society, the Luminous Geckos, The Kowalewski Organization, and the Four Hundred Mountains.